If you are determined to do the very best with what you have and to keep finding the best and making it your own, you’ll be far more patient and far less willing to settle for the mediocre. Raising the quality of your life is a function of your imagination.
Ask yourself questions like these and you can raise the quality of your days immediately:
- What is the best use of my time right now?
- Who are the best people to spend time with right now?
- What is the best book I could read right now?
- What’s the most scrumptious meal I could eat right now?
- What’s the best way to promote my business right now?
Focus on doing, having, and being the best in the present moment is the secret to mastering the art of living well. Incorporate special pleasures into your daily schedule is a habit worth cultivating.
My favourite special pleasures
- Visit a Japanese garden or a place designed for serenity
- Have Japanese manga nearby so I can enjoy when I need a break
- Drawing manga
- Eat vanilla ice cream for breakfast
- Sip coffee and read books in a cafe
- Sleep in a hammock
- Get travel brochure of my dream vacation and make a collage to hang in my office
- Invite my friends to an anime party and stay up all night
- Have afternoon tea, complete with scones, jam, and cream or cakes
- Do a photo essay with your friends as the subjects
- Splurge on something elegant
- Send flowers to someone who’d never expect them
- Wander around my favourite areas